Digital Home Phone - About 911
- KWIC Internet Digital Home Phone 911 Service (“the Service”) has certain limitations and differences relative to traditional telephone services
- The Service may not function correctly under the following conditions: any interruption or malfunction of your Internet connection, since your 911 call is sent over the Internet; severe network congestion on your Internet Service Provider’s equipment/modem/network; environmental disasters that damage or inhibit power systems or Internet transit; improperly configured or damaged hardware; suspension or disconnection of service due to non-payment; voluntary closure by you, the Customer, of the Service account for any reason.
- The material differences between the Service and traditional 911 service are as follows: the Service may be more seriously affected by severe Internet or network congestion than traditional 911 service would be, which may result in longer ring times or busy signals; the Service will not function correctly if the equipment is moved to a different location than the location registered with your provider; the Service uses a different communication method than traditional 911 service, using the Internet to send your call to a specialized emergency dispatch centre, at which time you may be asked to provide your location and confirm your phone number before your call is forwarded to the appropriate emergency dispatch centre nearest you.
- As a result of the differences laid out above, you should take the following measures: have an emergency plan that includes access to a backup phone (neighbour, cell phone, alternate VoIP phone line); stay calm and remember that the emergency dispatch operator is there to help – if you are asked to provide your location, speak as clearly as possible, and remember that the operator will ask WHERE you are, WHO you are, and WHAT is happening; also, remember that in the event of a power outage, the Service will not function. Additionally, some dispatch centres will not be provided with your location or phone number, so you must be prepared to provide this information if asked. Do not hang up unless told to do so, and call back immediately if you are accidentally disconnected. If you are unable to speak, the emergency dispatch operator may assume you are at the last registered location of your equipment, if this information is available.
- As a subscriber to the Service, your obligations are as follows: inform any potential users of the Service of the limitations and material differences laid out above. You must do this because someone without knowledge of how the Service functions may represent a risk to someone’s safety – it is your responsibility to educate potential users of the Service to minimize risk in the event of an emergency.
- If you have not agreed to submit and allow the disclosure of your location information to the relevant emergency dispatch centres, then you acknowledge that use of the Service in emergency situations is at your sole discretion. You acknowledge that KWIC Internet is not liable for any service outage, inability to successfully dial 911 or lack of attention from emergency dispatch and response services. You agree to defend, indemnify, and hold harmless KWIC Internet, its officers, directors, employees, affiliates, agents, and any other service provider you engage to provide service in connection with this Service, from any and all claims, losses, damages, fines, penalties, and costs (including legal fees and retainers) by or on behalf of you or any third party or user of the Service, relating to the failure or outage of the Service, including those related to 911 functions. KWIC Internet takes absolutely no responsibility should you or anyone who uses the Service in any way, shape, or form, suffers injuries or damages, or perishes as a result of the limitations and materials differences laid out above. KWIC Internet is absolved of any responsibility should the 911 portion of the Service be abused or mishandled under any circumstances. KWIC Internet is not responsible for any damages, injuries, or deaths that result from any inaccuracy in user data.